Feb 7, 2007

The Rain Is Over

A few years ago, I had the privilege of hearing Brennan Manning speak at Berry College, my hometown. Mr. Manning is the author of Ragamuffin and Abba's Child. If you have not read those books, I strongly encourage you.

This devotional today comes from one of his sermons. I only hope I can do it justice.

I know many of us have lost loved ones. I have a friend that lost her daughter and in her dying moments, her daughter spoke over and over the name, "Jesus." I hope this devotional will bring comfort to all those that have experienced the "Valley of the shadow of death."

During the last minutes of the Cross, what happened to Jesus that caused Him total despair, "Abba, Abba, why have you forsaken Me?" To one of anticipation and total abandoned love "Into Your hands I commit My spirit."... "It is finished!"?

Brennan Manning Shared an experience with us. As a Priest, he stood by a dying leper woman. In her last hours, she said, "Brennan, Jesus has called me home. Today is the day."

Brennan asked her what Jesus had said to her and this is what she told him:

"My beloved responded and said to me,
Arise, my darling, my beautiful one,
And come along.
For behold, the winter is past,
The rain is over and gone.
The flowers have already appeared in the land;
The time has arrived for pruning the vines,
And the voice of the turtledove has been heard in our land.
The Fig tree has ripened its figs,
And the vines in blossom have given forth their fragrance.
Arise my darling, my beautiful one,
And come along!
Oh my dove, in the clefts of the rock,
In the secret place of the steep pathway,
Let me see your form,
Let me hear your voice;
For your voice is sweet,
And your form is lovely." (Song of Solomon 2:10-14)

Brennan recognized the beautiful words from Song of Solomon... Later, what astounded him was that this woman was totally illiterate. She had never read the Bible. But she had just recited these verses word for word.

As the leper woman was called home within hours of talking to Brennan, her last words spoke were the name, "Jesus", as she was carried into the Heavens, she was embraced with hugs from her Abba, brushed with kisses that would be forever.

As Jesus was called home, to His Abba, what changed? He heard His Papa calling Him.

"Arise, My Darling, My beautiful One,
and come along.
For behold, the winter is past,
the rain is over and gone...."

Jesus now, too, is embraced in the love of His Abba....

All so that we would know Him...

And the last words spoken were,,,, "Jesus".....

Have a blessing of a day.
Connie

No comments: